I have been watching a lot of SVU. Every single season is streaming on Netflicks. I probably shouldn't watch it because it just makes me paranoid. And any time a child gets hurt or dies I end up in tears. Also I have learned that short I mean business hairstyles do not look good on Mariska Hargitay. Just saying.
It also makes me curious. I know I have been told rape prevention tips until I just don't hear them anymore. So I turned to Google. Honestly I was surprised that there wasn't more information about it. There's a wealth of information on what to do after you've been raped and the same prevention tips over and over and almost nothing about what to do during a rape. Do you fight back? Do you try and scream? Do you just lay there and hope he doesn't kill you? That is what I wanted to know. And still haven't found out for sure.
I do not believe that rape is ever the victims fault. Ever. I don't care how drunk the person is. (yes, person, men can get raped too, by woman even.) And yes they are allowed to change their mind in the middle of it. That's why this list written by Colleen Jameson is so awesome.
An absolutely full proof plan to prevent rape. (or is it fool proof?)
1. Don’t put drugs in people’s drinks in order to control their behavior.
2. When you see someone walking by themselves, leave them alone!
3. If you pull over to help someone with car problems, remember not to assault them!
4. NEVER open an unlocked door or window uninvited.
5. If you are in an elevator and someone else gets in, DON’T ASSAULT THEM!
6. Remember, people go to laundry to do their laundry, do not attempt to molest someone who is alone in a laundry room.
7. USE THE BUDDY SYSTEM! If you are not able to stop yourself from assaulting people, ask a friend to stay with you while you are in public.
8. Always be honest with people! Don’t pretend to be a caring friend in order to gain the trust of someone you want to assault. Consider telling them you plan to assault them. If you don’t communicate your intentions, the other person may take that as a sign that you do not plan to rape them.
9. Don’t forget: you can’t have sex with someone unless they are awake!
10. Carry a whistle! If you are worried you might assault someone “on accident” you can hand it to the person you are with, so they can blow it if you do.
And, ALWAYS REMEMBER: if you didn’t ask permission and then respect the answer the first time, you are committing a crime- no matter how “into it” others appear to be
Isn't that the very best list ever? I totally agree that we should educate not just how to prevent being raped but how to not rape someone. But sadly we do not live in an ideal world. There are mean people out there who will hurt you, no matter how much they've been conditioned or educated not to.
So sadly we do need rape prevention tips for the victim. I wish that we could walk down dark alleys by ourselves, wear mini skirts and bikini tops and not be told we were asking for it. I wish that we didn't have to watch our drinks or carry pepper spray. So for some rape prevention tips we can use right now, even if it's completely unfair, visit RAINN. They can tell you how to prevent it, what to do afterward and how to deal if it happens to you.
And those of you who lie about being raped, there is a special place in hell for you. You are undermining any woman who is raped and tries to report it. So fuck you.
Does anyone else have any tips or websites that might help?